Lost Buildings

Fire, flood, development and decay have impacted many historic buildings throughout the City. While documenting buildings that are known to be slated for demolition is an important way to preserve the history, memory and architecture of the city, sometimes Mother Nature has other ideas. Here is a collection of some of Grand Forks’ lost historic buildings.

Gotzian Block
Viets & Twamley Merchandise Store
First Grand Forks Herald Building
City Center Mall
Jack’s Roller Rink
Montgomery Hall, UND Campus
Carnegie Library
Civic Auditorium
First Synagogue, built in 1892, 2nd Ave S.
Russell Miller Flour Mill sat behind the old Grand Forks Herald building.
New Hampshire Building, 105 N. 3rd St
First Grand Forks County Court House, around 1895
Exhibition Hall at the Grand Forks County Fairgrounds.
Security Building, ca. 1923
Electric Company, S. Third St
Originally constructed as Viets Hotel in 1876 on 311 S. Third St.; Photo ca. 1970s?
Lyons Auto Supply and Garage, N. Fourth St
Memorial Stadium, UND Campus