Lincoln Park

From Neighborhood to City Retreat

The historic flood of 1997 marked the final chapter for Lincoln Park as a neighborhood filled with single-family homes, an elementary school, and a home for the elderly. It was not the first time the neighborhood was inundated, but it was by far the worst. Despite a floodwall surrounding the neighborhood constructed in 1958, the unprecedented flood waters rose above the wall filling the neighborhood. The wall held firm and eventually needed to be destroyed to release the water. Ultimately the low-lying neighborhood was deemed blighted. Sadly, the overwhelming destruction meant vacating the entire neighborhood. The residents who were displaced needed to find new homes, some leaving the city permanently. The new FEMA floodwall was designed to separate much of the low-lying areas along the river, including Lincoln Park, from the rest of the city.

Schematic of the 1958 floodwall around Lincoln Park. Courtesy of the Army Corps of Engineers
Location of the 1958 floodwall

Post Flood Revival

As Grand Forks slowly recovered from it’s worst natural disaster, consideration was given to how best protect the city from future potential catastrophes.